Saturday, August 7, 2010

Laura: paisley, in a field

I nabbed this dress a while ago at a seriously sketchy thrift store. I wasn't sure if it would be wearable, and I'm still not sure. It's just a bit too...something...? I think it's maybe late 70's, but probably 80's.
I am definetly going to alter it somehow--for sure bring up the hem to knee length. I'm also toying with the idea of cutting the sleeves shorter or sleeveless., to make up for the so-high-it-will-choke-you-neck.
The stunning cat here is our outdoor cat, Sampson. He's got to be the most photogenic cat ever! And he totally knows it. :P
The shoot reminded me a bit of the beginning of Pride and Prejudice (the film with Keira Knightley), where she's walking through a field and the lightings all beautiful. Obviously, that was morning, and this was evening. Still...
My mom helped me take the pics. Unfortunatly she's not the greatest "fashion photographer"--always calling out to me to SMILE! and then gushing about how "this picture is soooo nice of you!" (and of course it's the one I dislike the most). Not to mention the gazillion shots of me talking, with my feet cut off, eyes closed, waving my arms...etc. I really, really, need a tripod.
so, in unfashion related news, right now I'm rather obsessed with Cleopatra and related subjects. I found "Cleopatra: Last Queen of Egypt" by Joyce Tylesdley at the library and have been engrossed in it. I feel like I'm starting to get a better picture of her life and the world around her at that time. Consquently, of course, I now want my wardrobe to look all Egypt-y...not happening, since I don't own anything even remotely Cleopatra-ish. And of course I'm now day-dreaming about traveling in Egypt...*sigh*.
So yeah. How are you guys? Hope your weekends are going fantasticly so far! :D

8 comments:

Amber Schmidt said...

In that last picture, your eyes are so mesmerizing! And I can't wait to see what you end up doing with the dress-- maybe add a trim to shortened sleeves? Ha, I don't know. But anyhow, keep up the great work!

And if you go online, there are how-tos on making your own cheap (crappy) tripods. It's not great, but it works. That's what I use. :)

xxoo,
Amber Rose

Sybil said...

just stunning!! i adore the dress and the hat together!! very vintage chic! :D

Animated Confessions

Danica Pardini said...

SO cute!!! great outfit!! xoxox

Melai said...

Hi Laura! This is one lovely outfit. You look soo pretty :)

To Christy,
I would like to thank you so much for dropping by my blog and for giving me a lovely comment :) Hope you guys could drop by again.

I'm following you now lovelies :)

hearts,
Melai of Style and Soul

Stevia said...

gorgeous pictures!
and I looove the vintage dress
the prints are so crazy you can't help but to love it!

LOL about your mom
tripod saves you a lot of time! (and embarrassment)
I suggest to invest in it :)

<3
The Sweetest Escape

Unknown said...

WOw, I am in love with this dress! It's os pretty, and I love your photos, you look absolutely gorgeous in it - definitely my kind of maxi!

Amanda said...

I think this dress looks great on you, the colors really work! Love that hat too, it has such a great vintage feel!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

I personally think this dress looks great on you. I actually like it much better than most 'dodgy thrift store finds.' The colours are intense and fantastic and you seem to be able to pull off the length. It'll probably look good if you alter it too though! ; )