Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Meet Laura!


(above, my graduation dress spring 2009)

Christy and I were talking, and we decided that we should properly introduce ourselves. Whenever I read blogs with more then one poster, I'm always getting confused as to who's who, and thought our readers might be too. So here you go!
Name: Laura
Age: 19
Occupation: heh, well, I'm unemployed atm, constantly deflecting the "What are you doing now?" question. I've decided my new answer will be "independent study"...when asked what, "psychology, French culture, history." The REAL answer is that I'm simply sending away for books from the library on anything that interests me, and reading like mad. It sure sounds better then unemployment though!
Location: I live in a rural area, outside a town with a population of 2500, on a small hobby farm in Ontario, Canada.


Favorite clothes as a child? When I was probably about seven, my Gramma gave me a pair of velvet-y black lounge pants. They were flared at the bottom, and I have a very distinct memory of suddenly realizing they weren't straight all the way down. I think I had this epiphany and was like "I HAVE to have bell-bottoms". Most inspiring stylish movie? The Brothers Bloom, and Atonement. The Brothers Bloom because Penelope is such a wonderfully fearless character, and her clothes are so strong. Atonement has just this lovely summery feeling to it and I adore all the clothes, especially those in the first bit. Most inspiring stylish book? Whenever I read Death in Zanzibar by M. M. Kaye, I just want to dress all glamorous and go off to an exotic place. Heels or flats? Unfortunatly I can't bear to be in heels too long, but I would if I could. So yeah, normally I wear flats.

If you could live in one city for a year, where? Paris. Of if not Paris, somewhere very close. I have to admit it's cliche, but really, how could you get better then Paris? Favorite animal(s)? I'm definetly a cat person. I like dogs though, the bigger the better! My favorite animals besides that are probably zebras, owls, and llamas. I also recently got a ferret whose name is Sabine, and I'm in love with her :D Favorite colors to wear? Blue, green, purple, and pink--in that order. Biggest hurdle in dressing your body? I have a long torso, so I have to be careful about stuff with dropped waists. Drapey stuff doesn't usually look as good on me either. Easiest part of dressing your body? Well, I'm pretty slim, so I usually don't have to worry too much about not being able to fit into something due to size.


Favorite season (why)? Fall. Spring is obviously a close second, but fall is just PERFECT. It has no pretensions. Where Spring is often trying too hard to be summer, Fall is the sort of season you just fall into comfortably. I love the texture of heavier clothes, being able to wear light jackets and scarves and cozy sweaters. I love the colors outdoors. I love the way I feel during fall. Thing you were obsessed with at one point in your life? I had the horse-craze of course, but when I was 7-8 I was INSANELY obsessed over "wild cats". Basically lions, tigers, leoperds, ocelots, cheetahs, etc etc etc. CRAZY obsessed. I had this fantasy of being grown up and owning two lions as pets. I would, in my dream, invite some prim-and-proper neighbors over, then call in the lions and scare the guests to death!
Favorite style of a decade past? 20's, 30's, and sometimes a bit of 60's. Mostly though, I just love the 20's/30's.
Something that not many people know about you? That all my good friends I've met online. I'm a member over at narniaweb.com/forum, been there a few years, and have met so many amazing people through there. Last year I was asked to join the moderator team, and I've been loving it there ever since!



Guilty pleasure? Fanfiction. I'm a fanfic NUT. I've written a few, but mostly just read.

Biggest style influence? Definetly movies. Fashion magazines and editorials are all very well, but seeing the clothes come to life on a character is just so much more inspiring. Then instead of just wearing the outfit, you're becoming a personality.
Favorite actresses? Saoirse Ronan, Romola Garai, Juno Temple, Katherine Hepburn, Keira Knightley, Kate Winslet, Emma Watson, Carey Mulligan, Rachel Weisz, Cate Blanchette...


(Christy & Me--summer 2009)
Christy and I have been friends for as long as I can literally remember. Even though when we were little we only saw eachother at the most once a year, we always were close and would write back and forth frequently. When we discovered the telephone we spent as much time as possible it seemed chattering back and forth. Even though we have major differences in personality (I'm an introvert, she's an extrovert) and often argue, we always remain close, despite the nine hour distance between us. Last fall when Christy suggested we try a blog, I was skeptical if it would work because my track record with blogs isn't so hot. But somehow we managed to keep it going 3 months...six months...and then one day actually got some comments from people that weren't ourselves! Hurrah! So, cheers to the blog, and here's hoping it grows and gets even better!

~Laura

6 comments:

iliketweet said...

Nice to meet you!

tweet tweet tweet

x

Alice In Fashionland said...

Pleasure to meet you, I like your way of studying!!

SomethingDutch said...

You mentioned the Brothers Bloom. I am an instant fan. Welcome to the blogosphere!

:) :)

Arianne said...

Good idea about the introduction post. B and I should probably do one too!

I really enjoyed reading this. The bit about the lions cracked me up. I had that horse phase too where I memorised all the breeds and how many hands high they were from a DK book. Never did get my own horse from the Tooth Fairy like I asked though.

Also, I'm going to check out Death in Zanzibar. I've never heard of it or think it's likely I can get my hands on a copy but I loved Kaye's the Ordinary Princess.

Me encanto, Laura!

Rohini said...

Fabulous post! The first dress is gorgeous. :)
Xx

The Waves said...

"Independent study (or research)" is my answer to what-do-you-do questions as well. I feel it sounds intelligent and almost scary enough to often repel further questions. :)